Tuesday, May 6, 2008

'Wicked" is, well, wicked!

Alright, so I read the most amazing book the other day. Seriously, it was so good. Many of you have probably heard of it. Raise your hand if you've heard of the musical “Wicked”. I'm certain most of you have. Now, raise your hand if you've heard it was based off a book. I can see that a few of you have put your hands down. Finally, raise your hand if you've actually read the book.

The book “Wicked”, written by Gregory Maguire, is one of the most well-written books I've read in my lifetime. And trust me, I've read a lot of books. For those who don't know, it takes place in the land of Oz several years before Dorothy comes in and is all about Elphaba, the so-called Wicked Witch of the West. It starts with her birth and ends with her death thirty-eight years later.

What makes the book extra special are all the ideas it presents. This is a novel that dares to question the truths about politics, religion, and the nature of good and evil. But it does so in such a way that, while it does ask questions, it doesn't answer them, it allows the reader to decide for themselves. It is a book about good and evil, truths and lies, and making mistakes and being forgiven.

Now, before you go to your nearest library, keep in mind that it is an adult “fairy tale”. It is clearly intended for mature readers and some viewer discretion may be advised. If your even vaguely squeamish, I'd be more than happy to send you a list of all the pages I'd advise skipping for these reasons.

But seriously, if you want a book that is both exciting and thought provoking, I would definitely recommend “Wicked”.

No comments: