Thursday, June 25, 2009

Book Review: Sister of the Dead

The third book in the Noble Dead series is yet another win!

THE BASICS: Having defeated the vampires in Bela, Magiere and Leesil leave the capital city and head to the country of Droevinka, where Magiere was born, to try and figure out why a vampire would create a being capable of destroying it's own kind. What they find are the hints of a plot more disturbing and terrible than either of them could have possibly imagined. Also, they have picked up a new companion- a young, timid scholar named Wynn, who helps them discover that their dog, Chap, may be more than he previously appeared.

Unbeknownst to them, they are being trailed by two noble dead. One is a mysterious nobleman named Welstiel (who has actually appeared in every book so far but wasn't particularly interesting until now) and Chane, who is in love with Wynn.

THE CHARACTERS: I admit, I wasn't really happy when Wynn Hygeorht showed up and decided to tag alone with the adventurers. Her role in the previous book was important sure, but I didn't really see her as a potential permanent character. However, about halfway through the book, something changed. I actually began to like her. She gives (for lack of a better word) the team the normality, as she's only human, and kindness it needed.

TECHNICAL STUFF: What impresses me most about this book is the downright dreary atmosphere it sets up. Droevinka, is dark and rainy and the entire situation is bleak. But I never felt overwhelmed by it. Although somewhat frightening at times, it was never depressing, a fact that I highly appreciate.

THE THEME: Sometimes, the truth is better left unknown. Also, never speak to the mysterious, freaky necromancer living out in the woods. It will never end well.

OVERALL: I didn't like this book quite as much as the previous in the series, but I still harbor a great love for it. I admit, I can't even pintpoint what I liked better about the other. So I'll just leave it at that.

GRADE: A

Would I let my dad read it? Yes
Would I let my cousin read it? Yes
Would I let my sister read it? No

No comments: